Harry and Meghan Return to the UK After Six Years in the US
- Sahndra Fon Dufe

- 2 days ago
- 5 min read
After six years building a life in Montecito, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are heading home, and the timing says as much as the move itself.

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, are relocating back to the United Kingdom, ending a six-year chapter in Southern California that began the same month they stepped back as senior working royals. King Charles III was informed of the decision Sunday, a detail that lands with some weight given that the move reportedly wasn't raised during the family's visit to Highgrove just last month, according to CNN.
What's Actually Changing
The couple is expected to relocate from the US in the coming weeks to a private residence outside London. Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, are reportedly already enrolled in UK schools for the fall term, according to the Telegraph. The Montecito estate isn't going anywhere; the family will keep the California home even as their day-to-day life shifts across the Atlantic. Where exactly they'll land in the UK hasn't been made public.
Prince William and Princess Catherine were also told of the plans. Palace language around the move has been careful: Charles "welcomes the opportunity to see more of the Sussex family in a private capacity," but there is no change coming to Harry and Meghan's status as private individuals and nonworking royals.
Why They Left in the First Place
None of this lands the same without remembering what "six years" actually means. In January 2020, Harry and Meghan announced they were stepping back as senior working royals, a move the tabloids dubbed "Megxit" and one that, at the time, sent genuine shockwaves through the UK. The couple cited relentless media scrutiny, the Palace's resistance to them building their own commercial brand, and, as later reporting made clear, real strain with William and Kate. Harry has been open about tracing much of that instinct back to how the press hounded his mother, Princess Diana. It wasn't a quiet exit. They were asked to drop the "HRH" styling, gave up military appointments, and by June 2020 had relocated to California, first renting, then settling into their Montecito home. Lilibet was born there in 2021. This was, at the time, one of the biggest ruptures the modern monarchy had seen, and six years of distance is exactly why this return reads as significant rather than routine.
The Backstory Nobody's Skipping
This return doesn't happen in a vacuum, either. Last year, Harry lost his legal challenge over the UK government's decision to downgrade his taxpayer-funded security when visiting Britain, a ruling he described to the BBC as "devastating" and one that, in his words, made bringing his family back "impossible." That the family is now making this move anyway, and enrolling the kids in British schools, suggests something in that calculation has shifted, even if neither Buckingham Palace nor Archewell has spelled out what.
July's visit to Highgrove was itself notable. It marked the first time in four years Charles had seen the whole family together, and the first time he'd seen Archie and Lilibet in person since 2022, set against a backdrop of Harry's charity engagements, including the one-year countdown to the Invictus Games. That reunion built on a quieter first step: a private tea between Harry and his father at Clarence House in September, their first face-to-face meeting in over a year, though the children weren't present for that one.
Worth being precise about who's actually reconciling here: this is a rebuilt bond between Harry and his father, not his brother. Harry and Prince William remain estranged, with royal watchers describing the rift as effectively unresolved since 2020. Some commentators see real risk for the monarchy in that split: with Harry and Meghan back on British soil, they're expected to draw heavy tabloid attention simply by being visible, potentially overshadowing William and Kate's own coverage in a way the Palace may not welcome. The read isn't entirely bleak for the institution, though. Part of the commentary around this move frames it as proof that stepping away from the monarchy didn't work out for the Sussexes long-term, an outcome that, cynically or not, reinforces the pull of the institution itself.
There's also a financial thread worth noting. Harry is facing a reported £34.5 million legal bill after a court ruled he and fellow claimants were liable for Associated Newspapers' costs in the phone-hacking case they lost, a detail that's likely to shadow the family's finances even as the move happens. Per BBC reporting, the family also isn't privy to the Crown's specific security arrangements for the return, so how protection is actually being handled remains an open question.
What Harry and Meghan Built While They Were Gone
The California years weren't just a retreat, they were a second act. Before Suits, Meghan was already a working actress, but it's her seven seasons as Rachel Zane on Suits that made her a recognizable name long before "Duchess" did. Once the couple left royal life, they signed a reported $100 million deal with Netflix under their Archewell Productions banner and built out an actual media slate: the tell-all docuseries Harry & Meghan (2022), which became one of Netflix's most-watched documentary premieres; Heart of Invictus (2023), following wounded veterans competing in Harry's Invictus Games; the polo docuseries Polo (2024); and Meghan's lifestyle and cooking series With Love, Meghan, which launched in 2025 and became the highest-performing of the couple's Netflix projects by social engagement. Reception was mixed across the board, with Harry & Meghan landing as the clear commercial standout and later titles drawing more uneven reviews, but the throughline is real: this wasn't a couple sitting out public life, it was a production company finding its footing outside the Palace.
Why We're Watching This
One thing isn't expected to change with the address: Harry's charitable work with veterans through Invictus is expected to continue, and Meghan's lifestyle ventures, With Love, Meghan and her As Ever brand among them, are assumed to carry on as well.
We cover Meghan not just as a royal but as a producer and former working actress whose Archewell Productions deal has kept her tied to the entertainment industry years after Suits ended. A full-time UK base changes the geography of that work, and it puts the family back inside the same media ecosystem that shaped so much of the last decade's coverage of them, for better and for worse. Whatever comes of this move domestically, its ripple into how Meghan's production slate gets built and covered is worth tracking.
No royal duties are resuming. This is a residence change, not a role change, but six years after a very public exit, the symbolism of coming back isn't lost on anyone, including, it seems, the family making the move.
Harry and Meghan have not issued a public statement as of publication. This story will be updated as further details, including a confirmed UK address and moving timeline, become available.
We'll be following this one closely and will update as more details emerge.
Know of an opportunity we should be featuring? Send it our way.
© 2026 Black Film Wire. All rights reserved. For rights and permissions, contact info@blackfilmwire.com

Comments